The most exciting thing about this world is its ever changing quality.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Inbox tolerance value

I have zero inbox tolerance (IT).

Every email drops through spam filter will be consumed immediately. Email processing always has been top priority thread in my daily task scheduling. Yes, my system works pretty well by interrupt handling, be it an engineer or manager schedule; I also have the bottom half handling to allow interrupt pre-empt if you're a Linux geek and really interested.

Secondly, I never group emails into sub folders, categories or any kind. It's simply a waste of time and counter-productive. You have From (who raised the matter), To (who should care), Subject (what's the matter), what else do you need to bring it out more easily? Whenever I saw a ever growing tree of folder structure, I am thinking "who are we kidding here, are you really gonna efficiently penetrate through this depth and get what you want from some emails you don't even remember whether or not you have consumed". I bet by the time you actually got the email, if you're lucky, there is a big chance you've forgot what's for, and all the reasons why it matters.

Also, just for the record, I never bought the excuse that 'I am too busy to check my emails', 'I have actual work to do to be interrupted'. While we're so comfortably making these alibi for us to
shy into our own little geek caves, away from brute truth - communication is what really make or break.

What I should have provided is the definition of email consumption. Based on the From, To, Subject (surprisingly, little credit is given to priority field, due to the obvious abuse), every email is processed with either immediate response, noted, ignored, fyi'ed. (You might have picked up, yes, I never deleted emails.)

What's your IT value (number of unread/number of emails in inbox, per day)? Why is that?

No comments: