The most exciting thing about this world is its ever changing quality.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A pity - Google's leaving China

On my very first day back from China to UK, the same question has been dropped on me 5 times in a row, "what do you think the whole Google's pulling out of China thing?". Frankly, I didn't know what to think, perhaps its the jet lag thing or just because the trip was too hectic. Now, after couple of days, my brain has finally settled to its usual place - I don't like the taste of it!

Last news I heard on the similar thread was Google was accused (rightly) of scanning a large amount of Chinese books without authorisation. Finally, the case was settled by Google's apologies upon an alibi "inadequate communication" with the authors. 2 days later, again, on the same page, same name, Google is now taking a high stand that it will initiate "A new approach to China". Reason being that it has detected some "sophisticated attack" to 20 companies with the intent of fishing information from a group of Chinese human activists' gmail accounts. More than that, Google waved its American power stick and convince Washington that this is a non-trivial political matter.

First of all, without taking this too far, I am a huge fan of Google, of its products, its engineering philosophy, its superb marketing and productionisation abilities, most of all, the assimilated talents it has.

I don't like the taste of this though, even that I know I would probably offend someone, inc. my closest friend. But this JUST DID NOT make sense. It doesn't take a genius to read the contradicts Google has presented here. If this really is an ethic battle, Google just lost it two days ago. In what on earth position it is to do so? To pull out from an undeniable largest emerging market just because there are organised hackers who have launched 'sophisticated attack'. Come on, who are you kidding Google! Not mention many God-fathers in this generation who helped to define the networking, security are working in Google, since when did the hacking stop in any public information network?

Admittedly, there are restrictions and information censoring in today's China, and there are many. I do not believe this will disappear easily, nor do I believe it will be quickly. I was also somewhat annoyed that I can't get to my blog, facebook, even twitter accounts back in China. However, China as a developing economy entity, there are much to be improved, consolidated. Just try to remind ourselves, which developed economy entity has not gone through a phase of transition? Much to be said with regards to communism and single party government. But we are here to do business, in a real world. When you want to manage information, yeah, you do that, but in what name can you stop others to do the same? Why can we only allow Google fishing everyone's account and information everyday just to be able to pop up relevant advertisement for its own profits? Surely it doesn't really differ from politic profits essentially.

There are many speculations in terms of the real reason behind this decision. Some says Google.cn has never really performed up to expectation, regardless tens of billions of dollars has been thrown into the pot. Unfortunately, Google has officially blocked its own way to China, with all the right or wrong reasons. My financial advisor told me one thing, market has its rule, its intelligence. It takes a genius to try to understand it, not mention overpower it.

It's a pity for China, Google represents a type of culture, an idealism. I am sure many young people feel somehow lost without their spiritual leader in this technology sector. It's probably the time for a new star.

It's a shame for Google. I would have shown my respects if it decided to pull out because of its performance, instead of an excuse-searching exercise.

No comments: